Facebook privacy and security has always been a top priority for the facebook team. They constantly work to implement new security features and methods to maintain facebook privacy. The most common problem many facebook users face is their facebook account got hacked, the facebook privacy and security settings are ignored due to which a users personal information and facebook wall updates are exposed and your account is at risk.
They say a lot can happen over a cup of coffee, but i guess in todays era it should be “a lot can happen over facebook”. Facebook is lifeline, addiction, entertainment and social networking, it is a part of your daily life, i bet not even a day goes by when you dont login to your facebook account, except a few superbusy people who are not around from this world. Yes thats what you are called if you are not on facebook.
Protecting your facebook privacy and security is not a big deal, facebook has many built in options and features to protect you from a hacked facebook account to setting the privacy of your information for unknown people and even a stalker. If you use these facebook privacy and security features with some common intelligence there is no way your facebook account can get into trouble.
Tips to protect your facebook privacy and security
Facebook privacy is of utmost importance and should not be taken lightly. No one likes to disclose everything to everyone this is how a social circle works. So facebook lets you tweak almost every part of your facebook privacy. Here is how you can use facebook privacy controls and other related settings found under “Privacy Settings” to your advantage.
- Set privacy when you post – When ever you post anything on your wall, you can use the facebook privacy control button and limit the audience for that particular post to different friends, overriding the default set privacy. This feature exists on web version and even on facebook mobile app.
- Set default privacy – Now if you are concered about the privacy of every status update then set the default privacy to public, friends or custom privacy. This will be your default audience for every update, option is available under privacy settings.
- Control how people connect to you.
- Timeline privacy and photo tagging – Go to Privacy settings => “Timeline and Tagging”.
- Block annoying users and unwanted apps – Unknown people sending messages or a friend you added dint turn out to be so friendly ?. Block them.
- Hide friends list – from public, friends or from specific people. Some users are more interested in your friends list and they just send a request to them, then your friends call you who is he?, do you know him?. Thats a very awkward situation, so you can always hide facebook friends list from your profile. Go to your profile => view all friends and edit that facebook privacy control.
- Be careful when accepting unknown friend requests – A very simple rule, if you dont know them dont add them. They might misuse your personal information or keep tabs your activities.
Facebook Security Settings
Facebook privacy is very important to protect your personal information, but you also cannot ignore your facebook account security to prevent your facebook account from getting hacked or unauthorised access. Learn how to protect your facebook account.
- Activate facebook text messages – Adding your mobile contact number to facebook allows you to retreive a password if hacked and also alerts you of any unauthorised logins to your mobile device via sms. To activate it go to Account settings => “Mobile”.
- Enable login notifications – Login notifications when enabled notifies a you when facebook account is accessed from a computer or any portable device which you havent used before thus alerting about the unusual facebook login attemp. Go to Account settings => Security => “Login notifications” to activate.
- Remove unrecognised devices – There may be times when you need to access facebook from a third person’s device and you forgot to log out which makes you vunerable. Dont worry simply remove the device from recognised devices list. Head over to Account settings => Security => Recognised devices. If you account is accessed from that device again you will be immediately notified.
- End active facebook sessions -If you notice any suspicious activity on your facebook account or doubt that someone else is also using your facebook account from another location then you can stop such activity by ending the session. Open Account settings =>Security settings => Active sessions” and carefully check the details, if doubtful click on end ectivity.
- Enable secure browsing.
Besides these essential steps to protect your facebook account there are a few things you should keep in mind when accessing your facebook account.
- Beware of the fake facebook login page, scammers can easily acquire your facebook login details using this fake facebook page. Make sure the facebook page URL begins with http://facebook.com
- Never share your facebook login email and password with anyone.
- Change your facebook password once in a while and choose a strong password. A combination of alphabets and number is the basic.
I hope this article gives you an idea of how safe you are on facebook. Check your facebook privacy and security settings and keep yourself safe.